Russ, Julian and Alan get controversial, examining Julian's recent comment that the SM57 and the SM7B are overrated (light blue touch paper and stand well back...). They also answer your questions, share community feedback, and their finds of the week.
- Our friends at Audiodeluxe have an exclusive deal offering 30% off reTune from zplane. Retune takes an interesting approach to tuning in that as well as being a plug-in capable of typical pitch correction and pitch quantise duties, it offers a retuning matrix, allowing pitch based experiments through mapping incoming pitches to different pitches on the output side.
- Don’t forget to check out the rest of the deals from our Partners on our Deals page.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
Do your vocal recordings need more shine? Are you in the market for a new audio interface? Well if the answer to those questions is yes, now could be a very good time to buy a Universal Audio Apollo Twin as part of UA’s Apollo Twin Platinum Vocal Promotion.
- Buy an Apollo Twin MkII SOLO and get Antares Auto-Tune Real-time free
- Buy an Apollo Twin MkII DUO or USB and get Antares Auto-Tune and the Manley VOXBOX plug-ins free
- Buy an Apollo Twin MkII QUAD and get Antares Auto-Tune, Manley VOXBOX, and Pure Plate Reverb plug-ins all for free
You can find out more about this and other deals the Universal Audio team are running by visiting UAudio.com.
- SM57/SM7 mics are overrated - Discuss.
- Why The Future Of Real-time Audio Processing Could Be In Graphics Cards
- To help celebrate their shiny new website and the release of six new music production and post-production bundles, our friends at NUGEN Audio is offering you the chance win either a NUGEN Producer Bundle worth $499 or a NUGEN Post Bundle worth $899. Choose which prize you would like to win and enter the competition.
- Don’t forget to check out more opportunities to win pro audio software and gear from our Partners, in the Partner Win section, on our Win page.
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
RSPE is proud to announce the new ASC Nano AttackWall. It’s a mini version of the ASC AttackWall that takes all of the acoustic benefits of its bigger brother and shrinks them down to fit on your desktop. Get a reliable, repeatable, and accurate sonic space that’s extremely portable, so you can take it with you when you move or work in another studio. Learn more at RSPE website.
Questions From The Community
- Rayjohn Tagayon - Has a detailed question about the workflow for creating Atmos deliverables.
- Keith Morrison - Asks our opinion in the Genelec SAM speaker correction system
- Bob Derkach - Is capturing and filing libraries from CDs and wants or take on the best way to do this.
- Greg Giorgio - Shares an observation he has about an audible difference he hears between monitoring his "live" mix and a print and asks whether we have come across anything similar. Among Other things we suggest Nugen AB Assist.
Source Connect Now
As you may know, we are spread out around the UK & Europe when we record the podcast. In the past, we have used a variety of internet-based solutions so we could hear each other. We have settled on Source Connect Now which gives us ISDN equivalent quality audio using a Chrome browser, no software to install. You can get a free account from Source Elements.
Find Of The Week - Sponsored By UJAM
UJAM Instruments’ innovative Virtual Drummer and Virtual Guitarist music production plug-ins are now available as AAX plug-ins for Pro Tools so Pro Tools users can now enjoy the simplicity and versatility of these excellent instruments. Get what you need from your drummer or guitarist in the minimum of time.
- Russ - The Shure Blog
- Julian - A (very) old Casio MT45 he owned as a child
- Alan - A timely reminder to keep plug-ins up to date