In this edition of Sunday Sound Effects Round Up we take a look at developments at Soundly, and new libraries from HISSandaROAR, Pro Sound Effects, Thomas Rex Beverley, Boom Library and Matías Cerviño.
Soundly Release Tutorials And Add Sound Effects To Their Pro Library
Soundly has just released the first three videos in their Soundly tutorial series and they tell us that they will be adding more videos soon.
They have increased the Soundly pro-library, available with the Soundly Pro Subscription with several new packs and categories
- Thunder Claps - A great collection of hard, impactful, and full range thunderclaps. Also useful for sweeteners for other big SFX.
- Pumkin - A poor pumpkin is being mistreated by getting smashed, thrown in the wall and being stabbed with various objects. Perfect for flesh, horror, and gore.
- Wheels - Wheels of tables, stands, wheelchairs, hospital beds and so on. Pass-bys, ratling and organic varieties.
The team at Soundly are also proud that Los Angeles Film School now relies on Soundly for editing and cloud-based SFX libraries. Check out our detailed story on how Soundly has helped the Los Angeles Film School.
If you are an educational establishment then the team at Soundly want to help you and can offer volume discounts for qualifying educational institutions.
Finally, we hear that Soundly 2.1 is in the works and we will tell you more as soon as we know more, hopefully later this month.
HISSandaROAR Release Tank Resonator Library
TANK RESONATOR started life as part of the filtration system for a swimming pool, but it only took one resonant hit for Tim Prebble to start thinking about how it could be appropriated for more creative purposes... After much research and with the help of a local welder, some bolt cutters and an angle grinder it has now been reborn as an epic XXXXXL Waterphone and quasi-musical sound effects generator.
With a pair of Sennheiser MKH8020s mounted inside the tank, and a pair of Barcus Berry Contact Mics on the surface, they waited for the dead of night to bow, hit, scrape & slam the tank. The result is a 12GB library full of unusual source material, ripe for processing and creative manipulation.
- Size: 12.6GB
- 46 stereo .WAV files
- 24bit 96kHz
- Price: $99 but until February 10th 2018 use Coupon Code “DOOF” prior to checkout and get it for $66.
Pro Sound Effects Release Stallion Library
Pro Sound Effects has released Stallion - the third exclusive library from their partnership with renowned recordist and film sound pioneer, Ann Kroeber. Stallion features a variety of charismatic horse sound effects from thunderous gallops to subtle breaths and expressive vocalisations.
Many of the horse sounds in Stallion were recorded while working on major feature films including The Black Stallion, The Horse Whisperer, and Hidalgo. Alan Splet, Ann's late partner worked on The Black Stallion and he won a Special Achievement Academy Award for Sound Editing.
Using a unique custom microphone rig for the horse - with one mic fastened under the belly and another in front of the nose - the galloping sounds in this library achieve an extraordinary dramatic quality with the horse's powerful footsteps captured in harmony with its breathing.
Peter Albrechtsen, MPSE (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Thelma) told us...
Ann's amazing animal recordings are truly unique, and always extremely evocative, powerful and textured. The Black Stallion is a milestone in film sound and has been a major inspiration for generations of sound designers. The expressive vocals and detailed, sensitive sounds of the horse still amaze me.
89 sound effects (1.1GB)
24-bit/48kHz broadcast .wav files
Descriptive embedded metadata
Download or flash drive delivery (+$40)
Free Sampler available for download (2 sounds, 18MB)
$149 for a one-user lifetime license
If you like to learn more about recording animals then there is an interview with Ann Kroeber on the Pro Sound Effects blog. Here is a little taster...
I was assigned to go out and record monkeys in the San Francisco zoo.... I had recorded some other Dusky Titi monkeys in another part of the zoo. They’re little “yap, yap, yap” kind of monkeys. I played those sounds for them, and I said, “You guys can do better.” And they all jumped up and they started hooting and hollering around me. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was just amazing. One even jumped on my shoulder and was making sounds right into the microphone. They got a little wild and I finally had to stop because I didn’t want it to get too out of hand.
Thomas Rex Beverley Sound Libraries Release Northern Rockies: Active Nature
Northern Rockies: Active Nature is a collection of lively and euphoric ambiences from the mountains of Montana. Hear the rich diversity of ambiences brimming with wildlife. Hear haunting winnows of Wilson's Snipes and trilling tremolos of Dark-eyed Juncos. Hear wildlife greet the sun in four extended dawn choruses, each ranging from 30 to 50 minutes!
This library is packed full of tracks teeming with active flora and fauna from the continental divide of North America and perfectly complements the other Nothern Rockies Series libraries to give you a full picture of these stunning glacial valleys.
- A large collection of "active" nature ambiences from Glacier National Park in the Northern Rockies.
- Extended dawn choruses with clips ranging from 20 to 50 minutes.
- Rich ambiences brimming with wildlife.
- Ambiences from the shores of large glacial and small shallow lakes
- Coniferous and Aspen forests
- Ambiences with light canopy wind and wildlife
- Close perspective meltwater was not the focus of this library, but water is unavoidable during summertime in the Rockies. Water was always recorded at a distant as, for example, "distant soothing river" as part of flora and fauna ambiences.
- Categories: Environments, Active Nature
- Location: Glacier National Park, Montana – summer
- Specs: 25.4 GB – 192 kHz / 24-bit – 40 WAV files – 40+ sounds – Average Integrated Loudness: -35 LUFS.
- Duration: Approx. 367 min (6.1 hours) total
- Metadata: CSV, Soundminer, BWAV, RX/Reaper/Soundminer Markers
- Price: $79.00 but until February 7th, 2018 if you use code "NR33" at checkout you will get a 33% discount.
Boom Library Release Urban & Suburban Library
Urban & Suburban is their second library in their series Noisy Places and has been designed to provide a solid foundation for any sound designer to create a believable acoustic backdrop right out of the gate with common ambiences in varying intensities, daytimes and configurations. Easily accessible public places are captured in excellent quality, yet enough balance and distance to support the scene in the background and embed more prominent sounds into the mix.
While URBAN & SUBURBAN provides all the necessary basics, Kate and the team at Boom have gone the extra mile by providing more isolated environments as well as recordings of special events that will come in handy when a change of scenery or dramaturgy is required. Various forms of traffic, groups of people, buildings, animals, wind and many more sound sources that make an appearance in this library ensure that you are able to craft an experience complete with the necessary components.
- Files: 140
- Size: 3.5 GB
- Format: WAV
- 24bit/ 48kHz
- Price: 99 euros but until February 6th 2018 you can get it for 79.20 Euros
Matías Cerviño releases DELAY Sound Library
DELAY is a simple mini-collection of 31 WAV files (96kHz/24bit) aimed to enhance atmospheres and create movement. Sources were processed with extreme applications of delay effects to create a palette of interesting textures.
- Categories: Drones & Moods, Materials & Texture.
- Type: Delay sound effects / recordings
- Specs: 542.8 MB Includes metadata
- 31 x 24 Bit / 96 kHz files
- Duration: Approx. 15 minutes total
- Price: $5 plus taxes