In this Pro Tools Expert Podcast Extra Interview, Technical Editor James Ivey talks to LA based producer and engineer Drew Drucker about his beginnings in the music and recording industry, his current work with Wiz Khalifa's Taylor Gang, Burner and some of his future projects including a TV pilot called In Tune, Out Of Bounds a travel show based around music and a musical journey.
Graduating in 2005 from the Los Angeles Recording School, Drew has gone on to work with notable artists, such as Lady Gaga, The Weeknd, Busta Rhymes, Lil Jon, B-real, Bruno Mars, and Travis Barker to name a few.
James and Drew talk about some of the production techniques that he used to create interesting vocal effects and some of the gear he leans on to get just the right sound or effect for the style of music he is working on.
- 00:00 Intro Sting
- 00:15 Introductions
- 00:37 Drew, tell us a little bit about yourself and your work and what started you on your path in music and audio?
- 01:40 What sort of music do you find yourself working on at the moment?
- 03:10 So you like to be involved in the project end to end from artist development to mastering?
- 04:04 Is it primarily new up and coming artists you are working with or the establishment?
- 05:40 What is your DAW / Software of choice?
- 14:10 Gear and all things gear. Are you an "In the Box" or "Out of the Box" guy?
- 17:00 Are you using Universal Audio Apollo as your interface or I/O?
- 17:29 Are you an SSL G or E type of guy?
- 22:05 Do you have a home studio or do you rent a space?
- 28:27 Do you have any go-to gear that is on your can't live without list?
- 33:03 Are you a guitarist and musician first before being an engineer?
- 38:13 So which do you reach for Autotune or Melodyne?
- 44:24 Sign off.