In this Podcast Extra Interview, Technical Editor, James Ivey chats with Matt Boudreau, host of the Working Class Audio podcast.
Matt has been involved in music for 33 years. First as a drummer then moving behind the class as a mixing engineer, recording engineer and producer.
Matt Boudreau grew up in Southern New Mexico, moving to San Francisco in the late 80’s. As a drummer, he experienced some success with his first two bands, The Sextants, then Seven Day Diary, touring all over Europe and the United States. this exposed him making records on a high level with producer/engineers Larry Hirsch (Los Lobos, John Hiatt, Bonnie Raitt), Joe Chicarelli (Frank Zappa, Tori Amos, American Music Club, White Stripes) and Gil Norton (Echo and the Bunnymen, Foo Fighters, Counting Crows). These are the guys who got him excited about the record making process.
In 1994 Matt took to the other side of the glass. That journey has taken him through a series of fantastic recording experiences. Working with a combination of artists, some you will know, as well as many who you may not.
Now Matt uses his experience of record making and drumming daily in the creation of content for the Working Class Audio website and the interviews he records with the great and the good who continue to make their living at the coal face of the music and recordings industries.
- 00:00 Intro
- 01:15 Tell us about your start in the music industry and how you ended up on the technical side of the glass?
- 04:10 How much do you feel that being a musician first and of all helped you as a producer or recording engineer?
- 05:30 What was it that inspired you to start Working Class Audio (WCA)?
- How much of your working time is spent working on WCA content versus your mixing and mastering work?
- 12:36 Are you good at managing your work/life balance?
- 14:13 Is your studio space in your house?
- 17:35 How do you deal with "Gear Lust"?
- 20:10 What are some of the greatest tips and tricks that you have picked up for those you have interviewed?
- 25:30 You took part in a Mix With The Masters course back in 2017?
- 32:20 What is the piece of gear that you could not work or live without?
- 36:27 Sign off.