Our friends at PureMix run regular mixing contests, offering the stems from a well known engineer and artist as learning materials. If you win the contest you can win a prize!
Closing on June 8th 2018, the current competition is linked to the video series we featured earlier this month with the legendary Al Schmitt tracking Cyrille Aimee.
This competition is open to everyone. To get the stems of the song "Make You Dance" - a laid back, jazzy song with a brass section and a hint of reggae, simply go to the competition page to download the 24/96 stems of the session for a chance to win the following prizes:
- 1st place wins: Waves Gold Series Bundle
- 2nd place wins: Waves H-Series Bundle
- 3rd place wins: Waves V-Series Bundle
Having downloaded and played with the stems I'd recommend getting them even if you don't plan on entering the competition. Try auditioning different compressors on the bass, it's really revealing. Try a DBX160 compared to an LA2a...
The PureMix team offer some advice for anyone entering:
How To Win
Mixing is an art form, the winner will be chosen based on the judges' TASTE. There are no absolute rules. Don’t be upset if your version of this mix does not make it to the top.
The pureMix team will listen to ALL of the mixes and pick 3 winners.
Here are a couple tangible suggestions to carve your way to be the potential winning mixer:
- Make sure you send in the right song (Don’t laugh, it happens quite a bit)
- Don’t send the mentor’s original mix hoping that we won’t notice (Don’t laugh, it happens quite a bit)
- Make sure the vocal/drums/bass/guitars are not muted in your mix. Especially the lead vocal. (We think the production was quite nice and would love to hear all of it.)
- Don’t change the tempo/key/arrangement. This is a MIXING challenge.
- Louder is not better, we level match everything before we listen (You know who you are)
- Submit your mix before the deadline