In this video review, Production Expert team member Julian Rodgers looks at Evolution, a Kontakt Instrument which gives access to a library of over 4.5 GB of drum samples, 25,000 sounds presented via a custom UI which offers flexible and comprehensive editing, processing and sequencing.
The Sound Of Tape
The library is organised into 4 Kontakt instruments which contain the same identical sounds and patterns but offering a choice of amount of tape processing, from clean to saturated.
Evolution’s sound engine combines analogue and electronic drums and live instruments in a new way. The sound content that powers Evolution was sourced using a collection of sought-after modern and vintage analogue drum machines, modular synths, acoustic instruments, found sounds, processed Foley, prepared percussion, re-amped drums, tape machines and much more.
Each of the 12 voices in Evolution is created using up to 3 layers which can be quickly auditioned, mixed, processed and modulated using the intuitive XY pad. By auditioning using the dynamic browser and blending the three elements, original drum sounds can be created effortlessly.
- Available in Standalone, VST, AU and AAX instrument formats. Evolution is powered by FREE Kontakt Player from Native Instruments. Full version of Kontakt is NOT required
- 400+ presets covering all modern genres
- 3 Drum Layering Engines per Voice
- 4 Instruments - Clean, Tape 1, Tape 2, and Tape 3. The latter 3 delivering true analogue tape saturated versions of Evolution's powerful sound library, at varying saturation levels. Recorded to a vintage Studer A80 tape machine
- Blend, transform and morph between Layers using the impressive visual X+Y Pad screen
- Graphically dynamic sound browser and visual display
- Seamless integration with your DAW
- Extensive modular Macro System with 42 destinations
- 32-step multi-track Note Sequencer with individual Zoom lanes
- Modular step-lock Parameter / FX Sequencing, per Voice
- Dynamic Analog Simulation control - Faithfully simulate the random behaviour and character inherent of analogue equipment. Available, per Layer, per Voice
- Play and sequence any sound over a 2-octave range of pitch to create musical percussive rhythms, 808 sub bass-lines or anything in-between...
- MIDI drag and drop patterns directly to your DAW
- World class effects and 190 high-end custom reverb impulses recorded from sough-after gear
- Suite of high quality filters, EQs and transient shapers – each available independently, per Drum Voice, with dynamic routing
- Individual Drum Accent and Global Accent per step
- Timing slop per Sequence Step – Apply subtle (or intense) random timing to your drum groove
- Host Sync play and on-screen transport control
- Multi Output supportI
- NKS Ready – Total integration with Komplete S-Series keyboards and Maschine Hardware
- Dedicated 12-track Mixer with individual processing and dynamics, volume control, pan and effects sends for each Drum Voice
- Master processing module featuring compression, EQ and tape simulation
- DAW presets for Ableton Live and Logic
- Supports Mac OS X 10.10, 10.11, 10.12 (or higher) and Windows 7 or higher
- Mac OS X (64-bit only)
- Windows (32/64-bit)
- 5 GB in size after unpacking